Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Importance of Being My Playlist

I am completely dependent on my play list. If my ipod dies during a run I get in my car and go home. One of my worst nightmares is my ipod running out of power at the other end of the trail, leaving me music-less for 2.5 miles. God forbid! Now I have quite a few good running partners so I don't have to run alone too often. But when I go to the gym I have to have my music. Especially if I am braving the treadmill. I abhor that horrible machine. Two miles feels like seven and you can see exactly how far you have gone, or not gone. It is tedious. Now if the gym provides magazines like US Weekly then that can soften the blow. It's amazing how looking at pictures of Katie Holmes and Suri Cruise can make a workout better. Not to mention those pictures of celebrities pumping their own gas or taking a big bite out of a burger. But at the Y they don't see this trash as necessary so they are few and far between. And I feel bad buying them from the store. So I have found that my play list is a workout lifesaver. Nothing too slow and definitely no cheesy stuff. I love The Killers, they are my number one band right now. I can make it through 60 minutes on the elliptical this way. Add Suri and it's even fun. Now once I make it to lifting weights I switch over to maybe some John Mayer. He may be a total idiot, but I like his music. Now let's just talk about weight lifting. I lift about 3 times a week, putting me around all the annoying men at the gym..... 3 times a week. I love lifting weights but I get so irritated by men at the gym. Oh they walk around flexing and grunting. And they drop the weights and throw them around making the most noise possible. Oh and Checking themselves out in the mirror! It is ridiculous, but I can understand men gotta be men so I turn up the tunes to drown them out. Oh and steer clear of the flying sweat! Gross! When the high school kids are there it almost puts me over the edge. 16yr old girls barely dressed fixing their hair and pulling out their wedgies while admiring their new mystic tan. So if John isn't doing the trick I hit some Tom Petty. One of my all time faves. Oh and of course U2 and Coldplay. With exercise and weight loss I need things to look forward to, and great music helps me with my workout. Hey, with all this work there needs to be some fun!

No comments: